Wednesday, March 05, 2008

John Wolff's response

Credit John Wolff. The Harvard baseball alum, who has doubtlessly had to deal with quite a bit in the wake of his book and the related news, acted quickly and sent us this note yesterday. I think no one should form an opinion of the man, his book and his sense of the program without reading his own words:
I want to clarify something that has become a problem. In the book and in a Crimson article my father (Rick Wolff) has been quoted saying some disparaging remarks about the Harvard baseball program and the coaching staff. It is very important to me that you know that I don't share his feelings. I had an amazing time at Harvard and I love the baseball program. My dad is very bitter about his career and our opinions clash quite a bit. I didn't play much at Harvard but that was because I played behind some fantastic players like Zak Farkes, Morgan Brown and many others. I'm very proud to have played for Harvard and it hurts me very much to hear my father speak so negatively of the program and then have his words hurt friends of mine involved in the program. I would never say a bad thing about the Harvard program - either in the book or in the media. I loved my years at Harvard. I don't want to be viewed as an outcast of the baseball program.

I know this is a long email, but I know a ton of people read your blog and I was truly hoping you could post my apology to all the people who my father has offended and who I care about - Coach Hyde, Coach Walsh, Coach Donovan, Paul McNeeley, my teammates, future Harvard baseball players, and the rest of the people involved in Harvard baseball. I know I'm leaving out a ton of names but I want everyone to know that I am tremendously sorry about this misunderstanding and I would like to make amends.

Very little comment here, except this sounds awfully sincere, and it is true that the meatier criticism of the program didn't come from John himself. I hope everything works out.

No comments: